Towards a new way of thinking about music reproduction and the enjoying music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
"Towards a new way of thinking about music reproduction and the enjoying music in our homes. What we can learn from quantum mechanics, non -audiophiles and other people in the know."

I have not met many if any audiophiles who would not espoused to the idea that it is the experience of music that started their interest in this hobby of ours. I think we mislead ourselves; few really care about the music. I realise that is an extreme view, but for the debate I willing to put it out there. It is not intended as criticism, but an attempt to shift a paradigm or 2, and I include myself at the receiving end or the argument.

In essence, my argument is centered around the follow principle take from the so-called new sciences:
In quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is any of a variety of mathematical inequalities asserting a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, known as complementary variables, such as position x and momentum p, can be known simultaneously.
Introduced first in 1927, by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg, it states that the more precisely the position of some particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.[
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short, I think the more we focus on the sound, the less we appreciate the music, we cannot do both. Look at the language that is used in the discussion in these forums. The 1st thing most people will say when they want to endorse or promote a hifi component is to say it?s detailed. Dynamic, or neutral or such words are close second. Seldom do we hear about the component convey the emotions of the music well or are able to draw the sound together in a meaningful whole where the sum is more than the parts (read detail).

I challenge us all to talk more about tune, tone, timbre and tempo and less of detail, bass extension, openness at the top. Soundstage and imaging should perhaps be banned in the new paradigm after all, or maybe is not such new paradigm, but where we all started from. We have been mislead and allowed it to happen by designers, reviewers and our audiofools friends.

If Heisenberg?s uncertainty principle has merit, the message is clear; it's either sound or music, but not both simultaneously.