Beefing up security

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenithon

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Morning all. Following recent incidents in my area (botched robbery and murder) I want to beef up security. I am in a small complex of townhouses, 14 units in total.

A couple of weeks ago I had an alarm installed linked to armed response, with door sensors and an eye for motion detection. There is a security gate in front of my main entrance door and most windows. The gaps I primarily want to cover are:
- kitchen window: large window, no bars. There is a small enclosed space outside the kitchen where the garbage and gas bottles sit; with a security gate blocking access. But someone can jump over. So I want something on that window. Normal burglar bars?
- kitchen door: it is a barn door with glass panes so not particularly secure. Can get a solid wood door, or maybe get the ultra thick glass (two panes with a clear security film in between)?
- sliding door to small garden: main concern. This is a large sliding door approx 3m. Has locks at top and bottom and latch in middle. But other than that it is all exposed glass/Perspex. I can go for Trellidor or similar; or at higher cost the clear Trellidor mesh? What other alternatives to consider?

I think one important factor for me is that act as deterrents. I believe if they want to get in they will; so need enough visual deterrents to make them go next door (horrible to have to think that way but that's SA for you). In other words, I don't necessarily want things which are clear or difficult to see. They must be visible.

Also any recommendations for a security company in JHB to call to get recommendations and to do the work? Are there places that do it all or is it better to go to different providers (e.g., for burglar bars vs. security gates etc.)

Thanks in advance
X