Help! Marantz PM-68 - Distortion on one Channel

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giovanni

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey AV Blokes, I'm a first timer here. Great forum you've got here.
I'm not exactly sure where this should end up, basically I've got a couple of questions.  :flyswat:

I've pre-inherited ( She ain't dead yet bro :goofy: ) a Stereo set from my gran. I've been an audio enthusiast since a very young age, in fact I'm 15 now soo... She lived on a farm, so these things really caught dust.
It's a pair of B&W DM602's, not the S2/S3, paired with a Marantz PM-68 and a Marantz  CD Player from the time.

After about a month of owning the set, and listening a  :banned: load of music ( These things sound AMAZING ) a problem has arisen.  There's a very prominent distortion on the Right output of the amp ( I tested the same speaker on the Left and it's fine. ) Sounds like it's the bass sounds ( Can't be sure though ). I opened it up to reveal a LOT of dust. I guess a capacitor is done for? I'm not sure. ( Perhaps you have a theory? )
I'm planning on taking it to HFX Systems to get it repaired.

So here comes the actual question:
How much should I expect, and be willing to pay for the repair? I mean, second hand Marantz/Rotel amps ain't that expensive.

Bonus Question: Any specific amp I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks for your time in reading this  :2thumbs: