Home theatre design: seats and surround speakers placement

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm busy doing extensions which include a dedicated man cave which will be used for stereo and HT. The room is 4m (w) x 7m (L) x 3m (h).

1. Main seats positioning:
I would like to know what wil be the ideal placement positioning for the main seats. I remember reading something about staying away from position the seats halfway into the room. Any advise on this?

2. Surround speakers:
I'll be putting together a 7.1 system with provision for an atmos setup to future proof the roof. Regarding the sides speakers should they be  directly on the sides of the front seats or can I move them backwards a bit so that they are aligned with the rear seats so that the backseaters can also get the benefit of the side speakers? Any ideas regarding their height. Should they be at ear level or higher?

3. Screen size:
I'm looking at going for the biggest size posssible for the room. I previously had a 90 inch and want to go bigger. Any suggestion regarding how big one can go at my optimal sitting distance? My projector is the Optoma HD 25. What distance will it need to be to in order to fill the optimal screen size (120 - 150")? :eek:ppo:

I'll appreciate your response