Kefine Klanar Planar in ear monitors review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadedgem

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Kefine Klanar review

Pros

Superb sound

Good price

Premium Build

Nice Cable

Cons

None

1.jpeg

I am an audiophile from sunny South Africa

These in ear monitors was send to me by Kefine as part of the Audio Geek Reviews South African tour. This review is totally my own opinion and I receive no compensation in any way from the company as my integrity and name are much more important than any financial gain. The Klanars was delivered to my door very fast. I think it was a week so I am very impressed by the service I received from Kefine and also their correspondence through email is very fast and responsive.

Unboxing

These IEM sell for R1700 in my country or $90 and for that type of price I do expect premium packaging and accessories. When you open the box you are greeted by the monitors on display and also a very nice carrying case. Also included 3 pairs of tips for extra bass and 3 pairs with a more neutral signature. I am satisfied with the overall presentation and the whole unboxing experience was satisfactory with the price.

2.jpg

Specs

Style- In-ear

Driver type- Planar driver

Driver size- φ14.5 mm

Frequency response- 20 Hz - 40 KHz

Sensitivity 105 dB +/- 3 dB

Impedance- 16 Ω +/-15%

Cable length- 1.2 M +/-0.2 M

Plug size- φ3.5mm SE or φ 4.4 mm BA

Weight- 12.6 g

Connectivity

The Kefine Klanar you can choose in 3.5mm or 4.4mm termination and I chose 4.4mm as I wanted to give them ample power for that planar driver to shine. I connected them to the 4.4mm port of the EPZ TP20 Dac/Amp and also via a 2.5mm to 4.4mm converter cable to my Astell & Kern dap.

4.jpeg

Look & Build

I am very happy overall with the build quality of the iem and also the cable. I appreciate and prefer metal faceplate monitors as they just feel more like quality to me. The design is also very clean and simplistic and it all comes together to bring you a beautiful looking earphone. The cable is a nice quality and the brown and black color scheme is a wise touch. The cable also feels nice and soft. The chin slider helps a lot with a nice fit and I also had no problems fitting these in my ears and they fit very well. The carrying case is one I really like. I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy and this case is in a denim material so it really looks hip and funky yet stylish.

Sound

When a planar driver configuration is implemented well, there is very little you can fault and that is the case with this Klanar.

For male voices I chose Leonard Cohen- Famous Blue Raincoat from the Songs from the road Live album. When Leonard’s vocals hit I could only close my eyes and move my head from side to side enjoying the lush details that planar diaphragm reproduces. Also at 3:10 there is a saxophone that gave me goosebumps with this Klanar so I know the instrument separation is world class. I also just had to listen to some Jeff Buckley and the song Lover, You Should’ve Come Over I was mesmerized at the details in the voice and also how easy it floats in the recording distinguished from the instruments.

If you ever own a pair of planar earphones, you owe it to yourself to listen to Keith don’t Go by Nils Lofgren as these Klanars reproduce live recordings so well and especially acoustic guitar shines on another level.

These Klanars are so versatile you can use them for analytical listening to your audiophile recordings and in the same evening listening session you could switch over to some Pink Floyd- Pulse Live and enjoy it just as much.

Every instrument that is made from wood and has strings sounds good on these Klanars. I wanted to listen specifically for violin but not in a to classical way so I dug out Robots in Motion- Philter and boy did they live up to my expectation. The violin sounds so clean and you can almost feel each note being struck with the bow.

When I listened for Bass I wanted to test the punchiness of the planar driver so I put on Massive Attack- Inertia Creeps on the Mezzazine album and my word what a fast punchy bass the Klanar has. I also switched to my bass head folder with some EDM Music and the bass is really fast, punchy and very controlled. Being 4.4mm Balanced cable I think the extra power from the amplifier helped that driver to stop at the exact time required to reproduce the most accurate bass. Sub bass however is not a strong point of these.

I threw a whole lot of music genres at these and it did good with most. For metal the electric guitar sounded wicked and voices and growls was so real. Also having the choice between ear tips for more neutral sound and then for more bass is a great gesture.

5.jpeg

Conclusion

If you are an Audiophile, then I would really suggest you get a pair of Klanar in ears because if you ever listened to a pair of planar headphones or planar speakers you would know there is that certain sound that a planar driver reproduces that makes especially live recordings sound so sublime. Everything you get in this package is worthy of the price and I would say great bang for buck.

If any of you guys want to buy these you can talk to me as I have a direct link to the company.

Latest posts