Use of ARC and some Troublehsooting

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone make regular use of the Audio Return Channel system used by some TV's and AVR's?

I've just bought a Samsung UA55JS7200 (which supports ARC on HDMI 3) and a Marantz SR6008 which supports ARC on the TV Audio input.

I'm very pleased with my purchase as I got a great deal due to the introduction of the 2016 range of panels, and its looks faaaan-TASTIC after a little fiddling with Colour/Contrast etc..  I pulled out Avatar (one of the first Bluray's I ever bought), and its really is something to behold.  The up-scaling is very, very good.

However...

I want to make use of the built in Netflix app, but I'm having some issues with sounds. It works fine with sounds out of the TV, but of course that is NOT what I want.

Marantz: All video processing turned off, HDMI control turned off (well tried it with off and on), TV Audio Input configured to make use of ARC
Samsung: Configured Audio Output to be "external", configured PCM and Dolby digital.

So to cut a long story short.  I'm not getting the audio from the TV back to AVR, and its starting to piss me off.... :boxing:

My other option I guess is to use an optical cable, but that's just one more cable to manage, and it doesn't really count as fixing the problem....

Please feel free to share any information you have!